UPDATE: I won!!!
My first EVER win on any challenge blog!!!
Thank You to the Judges!!
And well done to all the other contributors!
WOW! It’s hard to believe it’s been a month since I last took part in a JAI challenge. Doesn’t seem that long ago. But I have been busy both on here and IRL, so the time has flown.
Anyway, this week’s JAI challenge is a Colour Challenge – I kinda like these challenges because you’re not tied down to a particular stamp or die set, you have more scope. The colours this week are as follows:
I don’t think I’ve ever combined these colours on one card before, so this was interesting. But for days now, I’ve been wanting to mess around with paints/inks and brushes on watercolour paper, so I knew just what I wanted to do.
First, I arranged the stamps on the cardstock in the way I wanted to stamp them, then I made masks to cover each image as I stamped them.
The large flower was stamped and embossed first, then covered. I stamped and embossed the small flower and covered it, (though I wasn’t sure whether I would be stamping the background image or the leaves a second time, so covered it for good measure.) before stamping and embossing the leaves.
I stamped with Versamark and then embossed with clear embossing powder, as the white would have been too stark on the watercolour paper.
Once all of the images had been stamped, embossed and masked, I used the Smoky Slate to stamp the filigree image on the background. I had to stamp it three or four times to make sure it stamped between the leaves and flower images, as they are slightly raised from the embossing.
The next step was to colour. I did double layers of the Blushing Bride and Mint Macaron – allowing the water/ink to dry between applications to get a more varied look to the colouring.
After I finished stamping, I loaded up the water brush first with Blushing Bride and then with Mint Macaron, splattered the inky goodness all over the card front. I then dragged out the Wink of Stella Clear brush and did the same with it.
I tried to capture the sparkle in the photo’s but it really isn’t done justice, it shines like crazy in real life.
I actually stamped the Forever Begins Today on the watercolour card, but it just didn’t look right, so I stamped it again on a separate piece of cardstock and mounted it on a layer and foam tape.
Then I matted the finished piece onto a Night of Navy mat with foam tape, then mounted the whole thing onto the cardstock base with just snail tape runner.
I’m really pleased with how it turned out. I hope you like it too!
Until next time,